Miami Federal Tax Controversy Lawyer
Miami IRS Audit Dispute Attorney
Representing clients in federal civil tax controversies, through the audit process and, when necessary, in the United States Tax Court is an area where the attorneys of Cohen, Chase, Hoffman & Schimmel, P.A., have extensive experience. We encourage clients to involve us at the earliest possible stage — preferably as soon as the first letter or notice from the IRS is received.
While in many cases we interact directly with the IRS examiners, we often work in the background, assisting the client’s accountants or in-house financial advisers who are communicating with the IRS. At Cohen, Chase, Hoffman & Schimmel, P.A., we apply our experience in substantive and procedural tax law to analyze each client’s case and to provide advice as to the most effective way to resolve the tax controversy.
Tax Court Representation
As anyone who has been involved in an IRS audit can attest, the anxiety and other emotions brought on by the experience can be overwhelming. We help you to understand the entire audit process and keep you informed about the progress of your case, so that we can help you make informed decisions in defending against proposed taxes and penalties.
Our Florida lawyers represent clients in many areas of federal civil tax law, both simple and complex, including:
- Identity theft
- Employee/independent contractor classifications (including SS-8 examinations)
- Income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax controversies
- Early or untimely distributions from IRAs and other retirement plans
- Trust fund recovery penalties (also known as “responsible person” or “6672” penalties)
- Foreign reporting penalties (Forms 5471, 5472, FBAR, etc.)
- Other civil penalties
- Underreported income
- Substantiation of business deductions
- Audits of partnerships, LLCs and other pass-through entities